Public Hunting and Access to TPWD Lands
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) offers a variety of hunting opportunities through two public hunting systems.
Annual Public Hunting Permit
The Annual Public Hunting Permit provides nearly year-round hunting on nearly one million acres of land. Popular dove hunting areas are offered through this system. If you are a landowner intersted in leasing your land to TPWD for the upcoming hunting season please see Lease Your Land to Texas Parks and Wildlife) for details.
Public Hunt Drawing System
The Public Hunt Drawing System provides opportunities to apply for a wide variety of supervised, drawn hunts including special drawings for both adults and youth hunters. In addition, TPWD offers special hunt package drawings for exotic wildlife and quality native animals on TPWD managed lands as well as specially leased private properties.
Need a Place to Hunt?
- TPWD Executive Order 013-001: Cancellation of Drawn Feral Hog Hunt by Special Permit at Nails Creek Unit of Lake Somerville State Park (Jan. 15-17, 2013) | PDF
- TPWD Executive Order 012-007: Cancellation of Waterfowl Hunts by Annual Public Hunting Permit at Matagorda Island Wildlife Management Area (Jan. 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, and 26-27, 2013) | PDF
- TPWD Executive Order 012-005: Modifications to the 2012-2013 Applications for Drawings on Public Lands and 2012-2013 Public Hunting Lands Map Booklet | PDF
Applications and Publications
- Field to Freezer | PDF
- Migratory Game Bird Wounding Loss | PDF
- Special Drawing and Regular Permit Hunting Opportunities | PDF