Recent flooding has impacted state parks across Texas. Status of Parks - Videos, Photos, News

2014 - 2015
The 2015-2016 hunting season dates are now available. Download a PDF »

Purchase Requirements for Licenses, Stamps & Tags

Generally, fishing and hunting licenses and stamp endorsements are valid from the date of sale through August 31 of the same year. Temporary hunting and fishing licenses and packages, Year-from-Purchase fishing licenses and Lake Texoma fishing licenses have different expiration dates.

Texas Resident Licenses

A RESIDENT is a person who has lived continuously in Texas for more than six months immediately before applying for a license. Members of the United States Armed Forces (and their dependents) on active duty anywhere are entitled to purchase a resident license, but the Texas Resident Active Duty “Super Combo” package is available to Texas residents only. 

 The term "active duty" means full-time duty in active military service, including the National Guard and Reserves of the United States. Such term includes full-time training duty and attendance while in the active military service at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary of the military department concerned. Non-residents under 17 years of age are designated as residents for hunting license purposes (not valid for Lifetime Licenses).

Residency is proven by any three of the following (all documents must reflect the applicant's name and a physical address in Texas). Items marked with a * must have been issued at least six months prior to license or permit application. Except for a valid drivers license or a state issued identification card, documentation is not required at time of purchases or while hunting or fishing:

  • a current Texas homestead property tax statement
  • the most recent six months of utility bills
  • the most recent six months of paycheck receipts
  • the person’s most recent tax return from the Internal Revenue Service
  • a statement from a parole board or probation officer stating that the person has continuously resided in Texas for the six months immediately preceding the application for a license or permit
  • a valid Texas driver's license*
  • a current Texas voter registration certificate*
  • a current vehicle registration*

Non-resident Licenses

A NON-RESIDENT is any person who does not meet the requirements listed for qualification as a Texas resident.

It is unlawful to:

  • hunt or fish without a valid license, or a permit and stamp endorsement on your person and available for inspection by a game warden, unless exempt by age, program or a reciprocal agreement with another state.
  • use another person's license or tag to hunt or fish.
  • let someone else hunt or fish with your license or tags.

It is unlawful to purchase or obtain more than one of the following license:

  • Resident Hunting
  • Youth Hunting
  • Senior Hunting
  • Free Resident Disabled Veteran "Super Combo"
  • Resident "Super Combo" Package
  • Senior Resident "Super Combo" Package
  • Texas Resident Active Duty Military "Super Combo" Package
  • Resident Combination Hunting and Fishing Package
  • Senior Resident Combination Hunting and Fishing Package
  • General Non-Resident Hunting
  • Non-Resident Spring Turkey Hunting

Social Security Numbers

The collection of the Social Security Number is mandated by the Federal Government and is required regardless of age. TPWD has no option but to comply with Federal Law and collect the numbers from the purchasers of licenses. TPWD cannot force you to provide your social security number; however, under Federal Statute, we cannot sell you a license. Your social security number is required to be collected, regardless of age, for the purpose of child support collection enforcement under Federal Statute 42 U.S.C.A. 666 and Texas Family Code, Section 231.302. If you are buying a license for another person, the law requires that the purchaser provide the social security number of the person who will be holding the license.

Stamp Endorsements

A number of "endorsements," sometimes called "stamps" are available for purchase with fishing packages and hunting licenses at the time a license is purchased. All fishing and all combination packages include one or more stamp endorsements. Additional stamp endorsements are available for purchase anytime during the effective date of the license/package.

Actual stamps with pictures on them are no longer issued with hunting and fishing licenses; however, a book of commemorative stamps (item Type 555), which are not valid for hunting or fishing use, is available for purchase for $21.65. The book contains all six Texas picture stamps (3 hunting, 2 fishing, 1 non-game). It may be purchased online, by phone at 1-800-895-4248 ($5 administrative fee charged for all online and phone sales), or Austin Headquarters. Stamp books purchased online or by phone will be mailed to the purchaser. Individual stamps are not sold by TPWD.

How to Purchase

Licenses, license packages, stamp endorsements and tags, unless otherwise noted, may be purchased at approximately 1,700 locations statewide where licenses are sold. Many licenses may be purchased by phone or online with approved Visa, Discover, or MasterCard. Call (800) TX-LIC-4-U (800-895-4248) between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (closed Saturday, Sunday and most holidays). Licenses are NOT refundable.


    Back to Top
    Back to Top