TPWD Employment Benefits
Amount earned ranges from 8 to 21 hours monthly depending on:
- Number of years of state service
- Whether employee in full-time or part-time
- Accrued at the rate of 8 hours per month for full-time employees. Part-time employees earn sick leave at a rate proportional to the hours worked.
A comprehensive group health and life insurance program is available to full-time and part-time employees and provides for:
- 60 day wait for health insurance for new employees or rehired employees with a break in coverage
- Employee basic health plan (100% premium paid by the state for full-time employees or 50% for part-time employees)
- Additional coverage for the employee and dependents
- Each employee becomes a member of the State Employees Retirement System.
- 90 day wait before becoming a member of the State Employees Retirement System for new employees or rehired employees with a break in service
- 9 percent is deducted from each employee's monthly salary.
- The state contributes a percentage as determined by the Legislature.
- Employees who resign before becoming eligible for retirement may request a refund plus interest.
- The Workers Compensation Act applies to employees of this department and provides for medical, lost-time, and disability payments for on-the-job injuries.
- Each session of the State legislature establishes a holiday schedule for state employees which includes most major state and federal holidays.
Training and Staff Development Opportunities
- Extensive in-house training program offering a variety of courses for professional and personal growth and development
- Out-of-agency participation in various conferences, workshops and seminars
- Academic and continuing education at colleges and universities
- Include longevity pay, merit salary increases, deferred compensation, flexible benefits plans, a 401K retirement plan, direct deposit for paychecks, staggered work hours, Employee Assistance Program and a Return to Work Program
Benefits at a Glance (PDF 40.1 KB)
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER