Open Records

The Public Information Act

Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives members of the public the right to access government records. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Neither an officer for public information, nor the officer’s agent may ask why you want the information. A public information request must be made in writing and the information requested must already be in existence. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is not required to answer questions, perform legal research, or create new information when responding to your public information request. Certain exceptions may apply to the disclosure of the information, to protect against disclosure of confidential or privileged information. If it appears that an exception to disclosure applies to your request, an open records opinion will be sought from the Office of the Attorney General. Governmental bodies are otherwise required to promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law.

Read more about the Public Information Act.

Requesting Current Boat Ownership and Registration Data

Boat owners' current registration data is now available to the public on the State of Texas Open Data Portal. This portal fulfills requests from individuals and companies that seek boat ownership and registration data without the need to make a public information request. The data is fully searchable, nearly real-time, and available at no cost to the public.

This information is provided to the public in an effort to comply with Senate Bill 701 (82nd Regular Legislative session, 2011) which encouraged Texas state agencies to post high-value data on the Internet.

How to Request Information

Electronic Submission


Submit a request on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Open Records Center.

TPWD has adopted a new system for submitting public information requests. Requests can now be submitted through our Open Records Center. It is our intention that this new system will enable us to provide requestors the highest quality service, while also being a useful resource for your public information request needs.

Answers to frequent questions are available at our Open Records Center FAQs.

Alternative Methods to Make a Request


Open Records Coordinator
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, Texas 78744


(512) 389-4482

In Person
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, Texas 78744


For complaints regarding failure to release public information, contact the Travis County District Attorney at (512) 854-9400. You may also contact the Office of the Attorney General Open Records Hotline for complaints regarding failure to release public information at (512) 478-6736 or toll-free at (877) 673-6839.

For complaints regarding overcharges, contact the Office of the Attorney General, Open Records Hotline, at (512) 478-6736 or toll-free at (877) 673-6839.

Información en Español

Versión en español de La Ley de Información Pública