Big Lake Bottom WMA: Hunting
Phone: (903) 928-2251
1670 FM 488
Streetman, TX 75859
Dates Open: Open year round, except closed for Special Permit Hunts.
Registration is required.
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have rules and regulations for hunting not required on private property. Hunters must possess a valid hunting license, the appropriate tags and stamps, as well as the proper public hunting permit. Permits include: Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH), computer drawn Special Permits, and the Regular Permit, which allows daily small game hunting on some areas. Hunters 16 years of age and younger are not required to have a hunting permit, but must have a hunting license and be supervised by a licensed, permitted adult, 18 years of age or older. Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove). For more details see the rules page for this WMA, the Summary of Fishing and Hunting Regulations and Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Public hunting is permitted for white-tailed deer, feral hog, waterfowl, woodcock, gallinules, snipe, squirrel, rabbit, and hare. The untamed conditions make hunting challenging and sporting. Hunters interested in feral hog, waterfowl, and small game need only to possess an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit and valid hunting license to gain access on designated days during the appropriate season. Deer hunts, both archery and gun, are randomly selected during the Special Permit drawing to avoid over harvesting of the resource. For more hunting information, see the Application for Drawings on Public Lands.
Annual Public Hunting Permit Hunts
Note: There are no White-tailed Deer Hunts available by APH except for the Youth Only Deer Hunt.
- Feral Hog: APH Permit required; no bag limit, no baiting allowed. Use of dogs for feral hog hunting prohibited. Any legal means.
- Squirrels, Rabbits, Hares, and Feral Hogs: APH Permit required. Shotguns restricted to shot no larger than #4 lead shot. Use of dogs to hunt feral hogs prohibited. Shotgun and rimfire only. See Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
- Waterfowl: APH Permit required. Shooting Hours-one half hour before sunrise to noon. During North Duck Zone season.
- Fishing: Open Year round except dates the ENTIRE AREA IS CLOSED.
- Special Regulations: Entry through designated entry/exit location ONLY. All users must perform on-site registration DAILY. Use of horses prohibited other than by written permission of the area manager in advance (903-389-7080). See Prohibited Acts(PDF 67.6 KB) for further restrictions.
- Youth Hunts: Youth/Adult Squirrel, Youth/Adult Waterfowl, and Youth Only Deer. See Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Special Permit Hunts (Drawn Hunts)
Those hunting under a special drawn permit do not need to purchase an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit.
Rules and Regulations:
- All public users are required to wear a minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent orange material (including headwear) when hunting is permitted, EXCEPT those persons involved in waterfowl hunts.
- Access to the Area is permissible only through authorized entry/exit locations.
- Use of horses prohibited other than by written permission of the Area Manager in advance.
- Use of ATVs is prohibited.
- No trapping allowed.
- No baiting.
- Use of dogs to hunt feral hogs prohibited.
- Dogs are prohibited except each permit holder may possess one dog while hunting waterfowl, squirrel, rabbits, and hares.
- Call (903) 389-7080 for additional information.