Keechi Creek WMA: Hunting
Phone: (903) 928-2251
1670 FM 488
Streetman, TX 75859
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have rules and regulations for hunting not required on private property. Hunters must possess a valid hunting license, the appropriate tags and stamps, as well as the proper public hunting permit. Permits include: Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH), computer drawn Special Permits, and the Regular Permit, which allows daily small game hunting on some areas. Hunters 16 years of age and younger are not required to have a hunting permit, but must have a hunting license and be supervised by a licensed, permitted adult, 18 years of age or older. Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove). For more details see the rules page for this WMA, the Summary of Fishing and Hunting Regulations and Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Public hunting is permitted for white-tailed deer, feral hog, waterfowl, woodcock, gallinules, snipe, squirrel, rabbit, and hare. Hunters interested in small game need only to possess an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit and valid hunting license to gain access on designated days during the appropriate season. Deer hunts, both archery and gun, and waterfowl hunts are randomly selected during the Special Permit or Postcard drawing to avoid over harvesting of the resource. For more hunting information, see Applications for Drawings on Public Lands or Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Annual Public Hunting Permit Hunts
Note: There are No White-tailed Deer Hunts available by APH except for the Postcard drawing Multi-species Hunt.
- Feral Hog: APH Permit and Postcard selection required; no bag limit, baiting allowed, any legal means.
- Squirrels, Rabbits, and Hares: APH Permit required (shotgun and rimfire only).
- Waterfowl: APH Permit and Postcard selection required. Shooting hours-one half hour before sunrise to noon.
- Special Regulations: Entry through designated entry/exit location only. See Prohibited Acts(PDF 67.6 KB) for further restrictions.
- Youth Hunts: Youth Only Waterfowl. Postcard selection required. See Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Special Permit Hunts (Drawn Hunts)
Those hunting under a special drawn permit do not need to purchase an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit.
Rules and Regulations:
- All public users are required to wear a minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent orange material (including headwear) when hunting is permitted, except those persons involved in waterfowl hunts.
- Access to the Area is permissible only through authorized entry/exit location.
- Use of ATVs is prohibited except during special permit hunts.
- No trapping allowed.
- Dogs are prohibited except each permit holder may possess one dog while hunting waterfowl, squirrel, rabbits, and hares.
- See the Prohibited Acts(PDF 67.6 KB) regulations on horse use and further restrictions.
- Call (903) 389-7080 for additional information.