Matagorda Island: Camping (WMA)
Phone: (979) 323-9553
2200 7th Street, 3rd Floor
Bay City, TX 77414
Contact: Matt Nelson
- Users may not camp or build a fire anywhere other than in a designated campsite.
- Users may not cause, create, or contribute to excessive or disturbing sounds beyond the person's immediate campsite between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Users may not establish a camp and leave it unattended for a period of longer than 24 hours.
- Users must remove refuse from the area upon departing.
- Cutting of firewood is prohibited.
Note: Campers may utilize driftwood for their fires.
A primitive campground at the dock area has 13 sites which are available on a first come/first served basis. These sites have some shade, BBQ pits and fire rings.
A Limited Public Use Permit (LPU) or an Annual Public Hunting Lands Permit (APH) is required for all persons camping at the bayside picnic shelters. Camping permits are waived for deer hunters participating in the special lottery deer hunts, for waterfowl and dove hunters participating in scheduled hunts, and for youth under 17, who must be accompanied by a permitted adult.
Persons may also access the gulf front beaches for camping via bicycle or hiking through the headquarters complex. This access is not allowed while public hunts are in progress.
The outdoor shower and toilet facility near the dock are available for use during public hunts or other scheduled events.