Lower Neches WMA: Hunting
Phone: (409) 736-2551
10 Parks & Wildlife Dr.
Port Arthur, TX 77640
Dates Open: Open year round.
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have rules and regulations for hunting not required on private property. Hunters must possess a valid hunting license, the appropriate tags and stamps, as well as the proper public hunting permit. Permits include: Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH), computer drawn Special Permits, and the Regular Permit, which allows daily small game hunting on some areas. Hunters 16 years of age and younger are not required to have a hunting permit, but must have a hunting license and be supervised by a licensed, permitted adult, 18 years of age or older. Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove). For more details see the rules page for this WMA, the Summary of Fishing and Hunting Regulations and Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
2011-2012 Hunting Information
Annual Public Hunting Permit Hunts
- For current APH information see: Old River Unit (#728)-Lower Neches WMA Map and Hunting Regulations(PDF 183.3 KB)
- For current APH information see: Nelda Stark Unit (#738)-Lower Neches WMA Map and Hunting Regulations(PDF 144.1 KB)
Waterfowl Hunting Season - Regulations, Dates and Bag Limits
- Public hunting is permitted for waterfowl, woodcock, rail, snipe, and gallinule on designated areas.
- For current information on hunting waterfowl in Texas, refer to: Waterfowl Digest(PDF 3 MB). Dates and bag limits are on page 18.
- Special Youth Hunt Information and Regulations(PDF 47.5 KB)).
- Waterfowl: Shooting hours end at noon. Hunting is allowed each day of the Early Teal, High Plains Mallard, and South Zone Goose seasons.