Note: This item is more than nine years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Reminder: Important Boating Facts
Extra! Read All Aboat It!
- There are approximately 621,000 registered boats in Texas, ranking it fifth in the country.
- Texas has more square miles of inland water than any other state.
- Recreational boating safety is a primary area of responsibility for Texas game wardens. The most common water safety citations are issued for: (1) Not having enough lifejackets on board the boat. (2) Children younger than 13 not wearing a life jacket.
- All children younger than age 13 must wear a life jacket while in a boat underway.
- Game Wardens enforce the Boating While Intoxicated (BWI) law. A person who either appears to be impaired and/or has a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher while operating a boat can be arrested for BWI.
- A person arrested for BWI may be jailed for up to 180 days, be fined as much as $2,000 or both. Additionally, the person’s drivers’ license may be suspended.
- Alcohol plays a role in 50 percent of all boating accidents, according to BOAT US.
- Nearly 85 percent of boating fatality victims were not wearing a life jacket.
- A typical boating accident fatality involves:
- An open motorboat;
- Weekends between the hours of Noon and 7 p.m.;
- The victim falling overboard; and
- An operator between 26-50 years of age
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to email@example.com and mention Plain Text Pages.