Note: This item is more than five years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Big Time Texas Hunt Winners Announced
AUSTIN, Texas — Ty Chumley was due for a bit of luck after losing his home and most of his belongings to Hurricane Ike.
Chumley, a tugboat operator from Nederland, bought one chance in this year’s Big Time Texas Hunts Grand Slam category; it was the first time he’d ever entered. He won.
The winner of this year’s Big Time Texas Hunts crown jewel, the Texas Grand Slam hunt package, receives four separate guided hunts for Texas’ most prized big game animals — desert bighorn sheep, white-tailed deer, pronghorn antelope and mule deer.
"I haven’t hunted deer since I was a kid and I lost most of my guns in the hurricane," said Chumley, who will embark on the first of four big game hunts-of-a-lifetime in early December as winner of this year’s Texas Grand Slam special drawn hunt package. "I’m a fisherman, but this will definitely get me started back into hunting."
Chumley joins 16 other lucky sportsmen who are making special plans for hunting season as winners of this year’s Big Time Texas Hunts. The hunters were selected by random computer drawing from applicants in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department program.
All told, hunters bought 72,688 Big Time Texas Hunt entries during this year’s sales period through the Oct. 15 deadline. This generated about $704,507 in gross revenue to support wildlife research, habitat management and public hunting.
Following are the winners of this year’s Big Time Texas Hunts.
- Grand Slam — Ty Chumley, Nederland.
- Premium Buck Hunt — Kelly Nunn, Austin.
- Exotic Safari — Michael Masera, Houston and Jeffrey Pumphrey, Midway, Kentucky.
- Whitetail Bonanza — Lawrence Ringley, McKinney; Gene Finn, Granger; Daniel Boschert, Dallas; Randy Ansley, Forney; Sammy Kelley, San Antonio; Robert Peterson, Temple; John Ehrhart, Highland Village; Charles Salazar, Houston; James Denny, Lockhart; John Massey, Kerrville.
- Big Time Bird Hunt — Phillip Barry, Highland Village.
- Waterfowl Adventure — Donald Tousley, Wichita Falls.
- Gator Hunt — Gregg Slade, Lockhart.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to email@example.com and mention Plain Text Pages.