Apply now to be an Ambassador at state parks in Central and West Texas!
Our next Ambassador Leadership Training Adventure will begin at Davis Mountains State Park, June 29 – July 4, 2017.
Applicants must be 18-30 years of age.
Become a Texas State Park Ambassador!
Get outside. Connect with a team. Grow as a leader. Show some love to a state park near you and spread the word that life’s #betteroutside!
Who are we?
We are young adult volunteers (age 18-30) who partner with state parks for three projects—service, social media and outreach. About half of us are current university students. The rest of us have other education and work backgrounds. All of us love the outdoors and our Texas State Parks.
What do we do?
We share our love of the outdoors and Texas State Parks! We raise awareness of the parks through social media and outreach. We give back to the parks through service.
How do we begin?
Our journey begins with the Ambassador Leadership Training Adventure, a regional training held three times a year. We spend five days camping, backpacking, hiking, volunteering, and enjoying high adventure fun. We also go through leadership and volunteer training.
Sign up for a regional training near you:
- Gulf Coast: Mid-March March (the first weekend of spring break) at Brazos Bend State Park (to partner with these parks).
- Central-West: July Fourth weekend at Davis Mountains State Park.
- North: November (the weekend before Thanksgiving) at Lake Mineral Wells and Palo Pinto Mountains state parks.
Do you live in another region of the state? Fill out this contact info form to learn about future trainings.
What are our projects?
After the training, each of us partners with a park. Over the next four months, we work with park staff to complete three projects:
- Hands-on service projects. We maintain trails, plant trees, remove invasive species, or help with other park needs.
- Social media projects. We take over the park’s Instagram account, tell Snapchat stories, generate park Facebook content, create promo videos, and more.
- Community outreach projects. We table at a nearby event, help park staff with events, or connect more people to our park.
Once we’ve finished our projects, the journey continues. We gather at a statewide Ambassador Summit once a year. There we connect, reflect and take next steps. We continue to advocate for our state parks.
We are always seeking to connect with future ambassadors who believe that life’s #betteroutside. If you are an adult, age 18-30, with a love for the outdoors and skills that could serve a nearby state park, we hope our trails connect soon!
- Future Opportunities: Do you live outside of our current region or want to stay in touch? Fill out this contact form and we’ll let you know about future opportunities.
- Questions: For more info: E-mail the Ambassador Program or call (512) 389-8572.
- Follow us: Facebook YouTube Instagram
Photo gallery of some of the Texas State Park Ambassadors at our parks.