Apply now to be an ambassador at state parks in the Gulf Coast region! Our Ambassador Leadership Training Adventure will begin at Brazos Bend State Park, March 10-15, 2017.
Applicants must be 18-30 years of age.
Become a Texas State Park Ambassador!
Explore Texas state parks and use your interests, skills and creativity to help these special places while gaining valuable volunteer experience.
Inspire your friends, motivate your community – and spread the word that life's better outside!
Who We Are
We are young adult volunteers (age 18-30) who partner with a nearby state park for 3 projects--service, social media, and outreach. Our goal is to raise awareness of opportunities in our parks and help more people experience that life’s #betteroutside. Typically around half of us are current university students (undergrad and grad), with others of us coming from a variety of education and work backgrounds. All of us love the outdoors and our Texas State Parks.
What We Do
The journey begins with the Ambassador Leadership Training Adventure which happens three times a year based on region. This outdoor immersion builds and prepares a regional team of 20-30 new ambassadors through a leadership curriculum and volunteer training, 5 nights of camping, backpacking, hiking, service, and high adventure fun.
After the training it’s project time. Over the next four months we lead hands-on service projects (trail maintenance, tree planting, invasive species removal, etc). We do social media projects (park Instagram takeovers, Snapchat stories, generate park Facebook page content, create promo videos, etc). And we do community outreach projects (tabling at a nearby event, helping park staff with existing events, facilitate school field-trips, etc).
Once we’ve finished our projects, the journey continues. We gather at a statewide Ambassador Summit once a year to connect, reflect, and take next steps, and we continue to advocate for our state parks
- More Info: Download this pdf file for more detailed information on the Texas State Park Ambassador Program.
- Follow Us: On Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
When & Where
Three times a year our regional Ambassador Leadership Training Adventure (ALTA) is held at the following times and places:
- Gulf Coast: Mid-March (starting the first weekend of spring break) beginning at Brazos Bend State Park, for ambassadors partnering with these parks.
- Central-West: Early July (July 4th break) at Davis Mountains State Park.
- North: Mid-November (starting the weekend before Thanksgiving) at Lake Mineral Wells State Park and Palo Pinto Mountains State Park (Not yet open to the public)
We are always seeking to connect with future ambassadors who believe that life’s #betteroutside. If you are an adult, age 18-30, with a love for the outdoors and skills that could serve a nearby state park, we hope our trails connect soon!
- Apply now: Apply to be a Texas State Park Ambassador!
- Future Opportunities: Do you live outside of our current region or want to stay in touch? Fill out this contact form and we’ll be sure to reach out about future opportunities.
- Questions: For more info: E-mail the Ambassador Program or call 512-389-8572.
Photo gallery of some of the Texas State Park Ambassadors at our parks.