Wednesday, 9:00 am, January 27, 2010Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Commission Hearing Room
4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744
Commissioner Antonio Falcon, M.D., Committee Chair
Gene McCarty, Committee Liaison
Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes
- Update on TPWD Progress in Implementing the TPWD Land and Water Resources Conservation and Recreation Plan
Staff: Carter Smith
- Proposed Stamp and Print Artwork Program for Migratory Game Bird, Upland Game Bird, Nongame, Saltwater Fish and Freshwater Fish Stamps (Action Item No. 2)
Staff: Stiles (Martin Wood, Collectors Covey)
- Financial Overview
- FY2009 Revenue and Budget Status (Year-end Close)
- FY2010 Revenue and Budget Status
- Withdrawn – Department of Information Resources (DIR) Data Center Services Contract Update
Staff: George Rios
Committee Agenda Item No. 1
Presenter: Carter Smith
Update on TPWD Progress in Implementing the TPWD Land and Water Resources Conservation and Recreation Plan
January 27, 2010
I. Executive Summary: Executive Director Carter Smith will briefly update the Commission on the status of the agency's efforts to implement the Land and Water Resources Conservation and Recreation Plan (the "Plan").
II. Discussion: In 2001, the 77th Texas Legislature directed that the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) develop a Land and Water Resources Conservation and Recreation Plan (Tex. Park & Wild. Code §11.104). In 2002, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission (the Commission) adopted the first Plan. A revised Plan was adopted by the Commission in January 2005. In November 2009, the Commission approved a new Plan effective January 1, 2010. The 2010 Plan is available on the TPWD web site. Executive Director Carter Smith will update the Finance Committee on TPWD's recent progress in achieving the Plan's goals, objectives and deliverables as they relate to the Finance Committee.
The Plan consists of the following four goals:
- Practice, Encourage and Enable Science-based Stewardship of Natural and Cultural Resources
- Increase Access To and Participation In the Outdoors
- Educate, Inform and Engage Texas Citizens in Support of Conservation and Recreation
- Employ Efficient, Sustainable and Sound Business Practices
Committee Agenda Item No. 3
Presenter: Mike Jensen
January 27, 2010
I. Executive Summary: Staff will present a financial overview of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD).
- Staff will provide a financial overview of FY 2009 year-end close.
- Staff will update the Commission on revenue collected by TPWD for the first quarter of FY 2010, including state parks receipts, boat titling and registration revenue, and license sales revenue including the number of licenses sold.
- Staff will review the revenue collected by fund (Game Fish and Water Safety Fund, State Park Fund, Local Park Fund, and Other).
- Staff will compare the FY 2010 budget to FY 2010 expenditures for the first quarter and summarize budget adjustments.