Phone: (979) 323-9579
2200 7th Street, 3rd Floor
Bay City, TX 77414
Dates Open: Open for teal and duck hunters during hunting season. A reservation is needed for wildife tours. Contact the Area Manager for specific dates.
The Mad Island WMA was purchased to preserve coastal wetland habitat for wintering waterfowl. Conservation tours are scheduled during the year for visitors to observe hundreds of bird species along the Texas coast. The 7,200 acres consists of fresh to brackish marsh land with sparse brush and flat coastal prairie. Wildlife includes puddle and diver ducks, sandhill cranes, alligators, mottled duck, raccoon, river otter, mink, armadillo, white-tailed deer, bobcat, gray fox and cottontail, jack and swamp rabbits. Hunting for alligators, feral hogs and waterfowl are permitted through special scheduled hunts.
- There aren't any restroom facilities.
- Bring your own drinking water.
- Commercial facilities are available in Bay City and Collegeport.
- No camping or open fires are allowed.
- Insect repellant is recommended for mosquitoes.
- Waterproof footwear is advised.