Check Acceptance Guidelines
Accepting checks is not required by law, but is a courtesy to our customers. TPWD has the following requirements to be followed when accepting a check:
- The check writer's name and address should be pre-printed on the check.
- The written and numerical amounts must correspond to the amount due to TPWD.
- The check should be written within the recent three months. If the telephone number is not pre-printed, please record it on the check.
- The magnetic character ink recognition (MCIR) code at the bottom of the check should be intact.
- Write what the check is for (e.g., civil restitution, boat motor or reservation number) on the note line.
- Write a driver's license number if not printed on the check.
- We compare the signatures, photo and physical description of the ID with that of the check writer. No check can be unsigned.
- The ID must be valid. The address on the check should be current.
- All checks, except government checks, should have a perforation along one side of the check.