Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hide Alert Show Alert

Stay up-to-date on operations adjustments and temporary closure of TPWD offices, state parks, recreation facilities and water access points due to COVID-19. Please follow guidance from local authorities, Governor Greg Abbott and the Texas Department of State Health Services.

Anterless Mule Deer (AMD) Permit

  • Antlerless Mule Deer (AMD) permits are issued to landowners in areas with mule deer populations that can support antlerless harvest or require intensive herd management to maintain or reduce mule deer numbers to minimize habitat degradation.
  • AMD permits are issued based upon Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) mule deer survey data for a broad geographic area (mule deer monitoring unit). Permits may also be issued from survey data and/or habitat evaluations for a specific property. In general, a property must be large enough to provide meaningful data and contain a population that is able to withstand doe harvest. Interested landowners may be asked to document mule deer observed on their properties between September and November; these data may be used to make a conservative harvest recommendation.
  • Multiple landowners may combine multiple tracts of land to create an aggregate acreage for issuance of AMD permits; however, tracts of land aggregated for purposes of AMD permit issuance must be contiguous.
  • There is no fee for AMD permit applications.
  • All applications must be submitted through the Land Management Assistance (LMA) website. The applicant must create a user account, log in to the account and register the property in the LMA site. Once the property is registered in LMA, the applicant will see the option to apply for AMD permits under the Permits tab. For help with the LMA website, contact LMA Help Desk: 1 (844) 592-6472,
  • The application deadline is September 1 to be evaluated for permit issuance for the same year.
  • Applying for AMD permits does not guarantee permit issuance. Permit issuance will be based upon mule deer surveys conducted by TPWD and/or the landowner/agent, habitat conditions, and mule deer monitoring unit densities/harvest.
  • All applicants will receive notice regarding permit issuance via email prior to the opening of the special archery-only season.
  • The landowner or authorized agent will login to the LMA website to accept harvest recommendations and print permits.
  • Permits are valid only for the specific property for which they are issued.
  • Permits are valid during the general season (any lawful means) and the special archery-only season (lawful archery equipment only) for the county they are issued in. *Note: counties with a 9-day general mule deer season do not have an archery-only season. — Mule Deer Seasons and Regulations by County
  • There is no bag limit for antlerless mule deer on properties for which permits have been issued; however, a valid permit must be attached to every antlerless mule deer harvested, regardless of season.
  • Completion of the hunting license log (on the back of the hunting license) and use of a hunting license tag are not required for antlerless mule deer harvested under the authority of an AMD permit.
  • A valid hunting license is required to utilize permits.
  • A daily harvest log (provided in LMA) must be maintained on the tract of land (a specific property or an aggregate of contiguous properties) for which AMDs are issued. Antlerless mule deer harvested must be tagged and entered in the daily harvest log on the same day of harvest. Login to your LMA account to print daily harvest logs.
  • The daily harvest log must be maintained until the last day of permit validity.
  • Harvest reporting is mandatory for persons to whom AMD permits are issued. The number of permits used for the current year must be reported via LMA by January 15. Suspension the following year will occur if harvest information is not reported by January 15.
  • You must report harvest even if permits were not used (zero harvest).
  • For questions regarding mule deer in your area, please find a Wildlife Biologist in your area and contact them by email or phone.