Frequently Asked Questions About Social Security Number Requirements

Texas Parks & Wildlife is required to collect Social Security numbers for the purpose of child support enforcement under the Texas Family Code, Section 231.302 and Federal Statute 42 U.S.C. §666. TPWD has no option but to comply with Federal Law and collect the numbers from the purchasers of licenses. To help deal with these questions, we are providing answers to some commonly asked questions:

What if I refuse to provide my Social Security number?

TPWD cannot force you to provide your Social Security number, however under federal statute we cannot sell you a license.

Do I have to provide my child's Social Security number in order to purchase their license?

Social Security numbers are required regardless of age.

What if I do not have a Social Security number?

In the rare instance that a U.S. resident does not have a Social Security number, they are asked to fill out a sworn affidavit that no number exists.
Affidavit for no Social Security Number (PWD 1083)media download(PDF 41.4 KB)
Affidavit for no Social Security Number (PWD 1083)media download(Word 66.5 KB)

I am very unhappy with this law, and its effect on me. Who can I talk to about this?

While staff at TPWD are willing to listen to your concerns, by the nature of the problem they are not in a position to effect any change. We would suggest contacting your state and U.S. Senator or Representative and communicating your concerns.

I want to buy a license for a friend or relative, am I required to furnish their Social Security number?

Yes, the law requires that the purchaser provide the Social Security number of the person holding the license.