Hill Country Region Week of August 16, 2017
- Water stained; 82–86 degrees; 1.18' low. Black bass are good on crankbaits, Shaky Heads, white spinnerbaits, and green pumpkin soft plastic worms around docks in 2–10 feet. Hybrid striper are good trolling and drifting shad at night. White bass are good on Li'l Fishies off lighted docks at night in 5–15 feet. Crappie are excellent on minnows and white or shad Li'l Fishies over baited brush piles in 8–15 feet. Channel catfish are excellent on cheesebait and cut shad near the Hwy. 279 Bridge.
- Water stained; 83–87 degrees; 0.76' low. Black bass are fair on green pumpkin topwaters, watermelon flukes, and Rat–L–Traps along break lines of flats. Striped bass are good on plastic swim baits and drifting live bait near Lighthouse Point at first light. White bass are fair on Tiny Traps and 2" plastic swim baits. Crappie are fair on pink/white and chartreuse tube jigs and live minnows. Channel catfish are good on liver, minnows, and stinkbait. Yellow and blue catfish are good on goldfish and perch upriver.
- Canyon Lake
- Water stained; 84–88 degrees; 1.93' low. Black bass are good on watermelon topwaters, Whacky Sticks, Texas rigged blue flake worms early, and on drop shot Devil's Tongues along ledges. Striped bass are fair trolling Gizz 4 crankbaits and jigging Pirk Minnows at daylight.
- Water stained; 81–85 degrees; 0.34' high. Black bass are fair on red shad soft plastic worms around standing timber. White bass are fair on slab spoons over main lake humps. Crappie are good on minnows in 4–12 feet. Blue catfish are good on juglines baited with shad in 10–20 feet.
- Water stained; 83–87 degrees; 0.70' low. Black bass are fair on green pumpkin jigs and perch colored crankbaits in 5–15 feet, and flipping watermelon tubes around docks and laydowns. Striped bass are fair on Li'l Fishies at night. White bass are fair on Li'l Fishies at night. Crappie are good on chartreuse tube jigs and live minnows over brush piles.
- Water stained; 83–87 degrees; 7.39' low. Black bass are fair on chrome chuggers and red shad worms in 20–35 feet. Striped bass are slow.
- Walter E. Long
- Water murky. Black bass are fair on green pumpkin spinnerbaits and soft plastics. Hybrid striper are slow. White bass are fair on white Li'l Fishies. Crappie are fair on minnows. Channel and blue catfish are good on minnows, shrimp, and liver. Yellow catfish are slow.
To prevent the spread of zebra mussels, the law requires draining of water from boats and onboard receptacles when leaving or approaching public fresh waters. Get details.