South Texas Plains Region Week of July 1, 2020
- FAIR. Water lightly stained; 80-84 degrees; Red drum are good to great and are as simple as following the birds using on crawfish and tilapia on the edges of the gathering. Largemouth bass are fair looking exclusively along with the man-made brush piles, and the ridge across most of the lake. Strippers remain slow but are found on rattletraps deep. Catfish are good on live bait and cheese bait.
- FAIR. Water stained; 82-84 degrees. Red drum are good trolling in deeper water, staying around points right on the drops around 15 feet of depth. Live baits still work during less active times. Black bass remain fair fishing deeper with crankbaits and jigs to cover structures. Hybrid striped bass are hit and miss depending on the day looking for schools. Catfish are good mid-depth every day on stinkbait, chicken livers, and cut shad.
- Choke Canyon
- FAIR. Water lightly stained; 82-84 degrees; 19.15’ low. Largemouth bass are fair working vegetation edges, ledges, or brush piles. Crankbait, jigs, topwater, some deeper spinners, and soft plastic worms are all you need this time of year. White bass continue at fair in creeks and on deep points. Crappie are good on jigs making it understructure or suspending above brush piles between 13 and 18 feet. Catfish are fair, moving deeper with dough balls, live bait, and cheese bait.
- Corpus Christi Lake
- GOOD. Water lightly stained; 84 degrees; 4.58’ low. Largemouth are fair fishing topwater, spinners, crankbaits, jigs, and worms. The inconsistencies have lead to fishing deep and covered vegetation for the most success. White bass are fair when finding the schools on spoons and small spinners plus crankbaits looking just outside of points or coves. Crappie are good fishing jigs and minnows in covered and vegetative spots. Catfish are good on cut bait and cheese bait.
- FAIR. Water very lightly stained; 84 degrees; 37.68’ low. Black bass are now fair with some windy days not helping the fisherman’s cause. Brush piles and deep rocks are the only spots with consistency. Don’t expect to pull multiple fish out of each spot currently. Fishfinders are key, especially side scans, and success has come on small billed crankbaits, Texas rigged flukes, and deep dropping jigs. Crappie are good under cooler cover and can be plentiful on brush piles. The fish finders are very helpful for crappie. White bass are decent going way deep on minnows and don't skip the Blanco and Salanaias depths. Catfish are fair in the deep spots with cut shad, or nightcrawlers. Remember to stay on the Texas side unless you possess a Mexican Fishing License.
- FAIR. Water stained; 84 degrees; 0.11’ low. Largemouth bass are fair fishing deep diving crankbaits, jigs, and spinners. Patterns are to fish the steep drops, and gravel in combination where available. Crappie are excellent with jigs under vegetation and very few in small structures or suspending. Catfish are good on stinkbait, cut bait, and live bait.
Zebra Mussel Alert To prevent the spread of zebra mussels, the law requires draining of water from boats and onboard receptacles when leaving or approaching public fresh waters. Get details.