South Texas Plains Region Week of January 15, 2020
- FAIR. Water lightly stained; 58–60 degrees; Largemouth bass are fair on Carolina rigged plastic worms, crankbaits, bass jigs along the dam, and rocky points. Red drum are slow using crawfish and tilapia. Striped bass are fair on jigs and live shad in open water. Catfish are good on live bait and cheese bait.
- FAIR. Water stained; 58 degrees. Channel catfish are good on stinkbait, liver, and cut shad. Red drum are slow on live crawfish and tilapia but have shown signs of picking up. Largemouth bass are fair on jigs, plastic worms and spinnerbaits near the dam and warm water. Hybrid striped bass are fair on spoons chicken livers and rattle traps.
- Choke Canyon
- GOOD. Water lightly stained; 57 degrees; 17.79’ low. Largemouth bass are fair on topwater, worms, crankbaits, and spinners fishing points and all vegetation slowly. White bass are fair with minnows moving towards the Frio River. All catfish are very good on larger live bait and cut baits in all water.
- Corpus Christi Lake
- FAIR. Water lightly stained; 61 degrees; 3.48’ low. Largemouth bass are fair using spinnerbaits working surface cover and drops off points. White bass are good on rattletraps and minnows feeding in the Nueces River and outward. Crappie are fair on live minnows along the pier and other structures. Catfish are fair to good on cut bait and cheese bait.
- GOOD. Water lightly stained; 57 degrees; 36.46’ low. Black bass are good on soft plastic worms, spinners, and topwater lures fishing points flooded vegetation and most structures. Crappie are fair to slow on live bait among submerged structures. Catfish are good on all live bait, including shrimp, shad, and stinkbait. Remember to stay on the Texas side unless you possess a Mexican Fishing License.
- FAIR. Water stained; 58-59 degrees; 5.13’ low. Largemouth bass are fair on jigs, Texas–rigged soft plastics, and spinners near creek mouths and steep drops. Crappie are fair on jigs with creek structures. Catfish are fair to good on stinkbait, cut bait, and live bait. Trotlines are suitable for all species of catfish using live bait.
To prevent the spread of zebra mussels, the law requires draining of water from boats and onboard receptacles when leaving or approaching public fresh waters. Get details.