If you plan to go fishing, check local orders related to the current pandemic, as well as the status of the location you're planning to fish. Some access points may be closed. As always, a valid fishing license is required and you must follow the pertinent Texas fishing regulations, which can be found in the Outdoor Annual.
South Texas Plains Region Week of April 8, 2020
- GOOD. Water lightly stained; 73 degrees; Largemouth bass are good fishing vegetation and rocky points using Carolina rigged plastic worms, spinners, and jigs. Red drum are good on crawfish and tilapia with surface activity and following birds. Strippers are fair. Catfish are good on live bait and cheese bait.
- GOOD. Water stained; 70-71 degrees. Red drum are good with crawfish and tilapia with some surface activity. Largemouth remain good with topwater early morning, switching to worms in vegetation, and crankbait along with spinners during the day. Hybrid striped bass remain fair. Catfish are good on chicken livers and cut shad.
- Choke Canyon
- FAIR. Water lightly stained; 70-71 degrees; 18.11’ low. Largemouth bass remain good with jigs, topwaters, spinners, and worms working points, coves, and creeks. White bass are in the mouth of the Frio River. Crappie are fair on jigs. Catfish are fair in shallow water vegetation and river channels with live bait and cheese bait.
- Corpus Christi Lake
- GOOD. Water lightly stained; 73-74 degrees; 3.92’ low. Largemouth bass remain good in shallower structures less than 10 feet with spinners, rattletraps, crankbaits, and plastic worms. White bass are in the mouth of the Nueces River, working out. Crappie are good fishing live minnows in structure. Catfish are good on cut bait and cheese bait.
- GOOD. Water lightly stained; 72 degrees; 38.94’ low. Check boat ramps before you head out because Zapata County Park is closed. Black bass are good. The ones that are fishing have been seeing success on the south end of the lake. Not much has changed. Mostly on rock, and some flipping fish have also appeared on creek channels in the hardwoods. Crappie are increasing to fair near the hardwoods. Catfish are good on live and prepped baits. Remember to stay on the Texas side unless you possess a Mexican Fishing License.
- FAIR. Water stained; 73 degrees; 3.63’ low. Largemouth bass remain good on worms, jigs, buzzbait, some crankbaits and light-colored spinners fishing gravel bars, open water points, and creeks. Crappie are fair on jigs working creek channels. Catfish are good on stinkbait, cut bait, and live bait. Trotlines remain great with live bait.
Zebra Mussel Alert To prevent the spread of zebra mussels, the law requires draining of water from boats and onboard receptacles when leaving or approaching public fresh waters. Get details.