Our new Public Hunt Drawing system will provide new convenience and benefits to hunters.
- Check your status at any time.
- Apply for multiple times in the same hunt category.
- Store permits on a mobile device.
- More time to apply; up to 11:59 pm on the deadline date.
- Automation of the application entry and notification process reduces administrative costs and improves efficiency.
- Special Permit Hunts: General, Youth Only and Adult Only categories for a variety of species including alligator, white-tailed deer, mule deer, exotics, feral hogs, javelina and turkey.
- E-Postcard Selection Hunts: A limited number of opportunities on select hunt areas that require an Annual Public Hunting Permit.
- U.S. Forest Service Antlerless Deer Permits: A limited number of permits provided to harvest antlerless white-tailed deer during the general open season on Alabama Creek, Bannister, Moore Plantation and Sam Houston National Forest Wildlife
Management Areas (WMAs). No application fee is required.
There are no residency restrictions; Texas, U.S. residents and non-residents can apply.
- Youth applicants for Special Permit hunts must be between 8 and 16 years old.
- Supervising adults must be at least 18 years old.
- Youth applicants for Youth and Youth/Adult hunts must be under 17 years old.
You can begin your application on the Drawn Hunts page.
Applications can be submitted beginning July 1 up until the Application Deadline for each Hunt Category.
Deadlines can be found on the Drawn Hunt Deadlines cheat sheet and on each category page in the Drawn Hunt Catalog.
- Yes, it will be necessary for all applicants (adults and youth) to have an account in our database.
- Customers who have previously purchased a hunting or fishing license, or who have applied for a drawn hunt in the past, should already have an account with a Customer ID number. You can find your Customer ID number on your license.
- You are encouraged to check your account and verify that your information is updated, including that your email and telephone number is accurate.
- If you do not have a previous Customer ID number you will need to create an account to apply for a drawn hunt.
No, applications are only accepted online and any mailed paper applications will be returned to the sender. It will be necessary for you to access a computer (available at your local public library) or get help from someone who has internet
No, TPWD is no longer printing or mailing the booklet, but we will offer a downloadable PDF of the Drawn Hunt Catalog on the new online system.
A new online catalog of hunts will be available July 1. You will be able to browse hunts online or download a printable PDF.
E-Postcard hunts are available through the Public Hunt Drawing System. There are no application or permit fees to apply for the E-Postcard hunts, but adults applying for the hunts are required to possess an Annual Public Hunting Permit. General,
youth-only and youth/adult categories are available.
Yes, click on Browse Hunt Catalog and then click the Areas tab at the top of the page to see an interactive map. You can use it to find the location of a specific hunt area and all areas offering a hunt in a specific category.
To protect the privacy of the cooperating landowners, area details are only sent to selected hunters who are drawn for and accept their hunt position.
Yes; you can apply once at each area within a category. For example, you can submit an application for "Gun Deer — Either Sex" at the Chaparral WMA and the James Daughtrey WMA. You can submit applications for "Gun Deer — Either
Sex" and "Gun Deer — Management at the Chaparral WMA. You cannot submit two applications for "Gun Deer — Either Sex" at the Chaparral WMA. The new system will not, in most cases, let you submit an invalid application. However,
if an invalid application is submitted, your application will be disqualified and application fees will NOT be refunded. Only 3 applications may be submitted for any Youth Hunt category.
Yes, in most cases. Some hunts have restrictions on the number of names that can be on an application due to the number of hunt positions available. Information on the number of people that can be on an application is listed in each hunt's
Yes. However, they will need the information required to identify you and find your Customer Account. That information includes Last Name, Date of Birth, and either a Customer ID number, Driver's License number, Social Security Number, Passport
number, Application ID, or Permit ID.
The new system will not, in most cases, let you submit an invalid application. However, if an invalid application is submitted, your application will be disqualified and application fees will NOT be refunded.
Yes, from the Drawn Hunts page you can click the Check Status button to view all applications you have submitted for the current season, hunts you have been selected for and the permits you have won. It will also show current individual and
group Loyalty Points (formally called Preference Points , see #20) for each hunt category, and it will show applications and drawing results for past hunt seasons.
No, once you go through the billing process and submit your applications, the order cannot be cancelled and application fees will not be refunded.
Normally, the drawings will be held the next business day after the application deadline.