How to Contact Wildlife Rehabilitators in Texas

Texas Parks and Wildlife has made available a list of permitted wildlife rehabilitators in the state of Texas for your use should you find a wild animal in need of assistance. The names are arranged according to location (county level). We recommend you check not only your own county but also any adjacent counties when trying to find help for an animal.

Most of these people work out of their homes, and volunteer their time. No state funding is available for animal caging, veterinary care, medicine or food. For this reason, most rehabilitators gratefully accept donations toward the care of wild animals they receive from the public.

Birds of prey like these kestrels are demanding orphans.

Remember, wildlife rehabilitators are volunteers.

Realize that you may not be able to contact a volunteer immediately, or that they may not be able to help you with the animal you have. They have jobs of their own, limited facilities and limited time. Many have listed specific hours of operation - try to respect their privacy and remember that they may be at work during the day. Even larger rehabilitation groups may not be able to get back to you for a while. Patience is often necessary when trying to place injured or orphaned wildlife. And rehabbers typically need you to bring the animal to them.

Note: If you have a wild mammal (any animal with hair) in your possession, you need to know about Zoonoses. Contact the Zoonoses Control Division of The Texas Department of State Health Services. Also refer to the Zoonoses Control Division for the Statewide Wild Animal Transport Restrictions for information on Texas Rabies Quarantine.

Please inform yourself about rabies and other life-threatening diseases wild animals may carry before you proceed.

If all else fails, you may be able to find a veterinary clinic willing to give immediate care (licensed veterinarians may possess wildlife in Texas for up to 48 hours for emergency care). However the state will not reimburse animal hospitals for their costs, so someone will need to arrange to pay the bill. Most clinics are not equipped to take healthy orphans. Please recall, it is always best for wild animals to remain in the wild if at all possible. Do your best to determine whether the animal genuinely needs help before intervening. If you have to get involved, try to place the animal with a permitted person as soon as possible, and above all "DO NOT" try to care for it yourself. Special knowledge and training are necessary in most cases to do the right thing for the animal you have found.