Note: This item is more than six years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Texas Teens Take Home Honors From Ag Clays 381 State Trap Shoot
KERRVILLE, Texas — The Second Annual Ag Clays 381 State Trap Shoot took place June 8 at the Hill Country Shooting Sports Range in Kerrville, where 121 shooters representing 23 schools formed 28 teams, including 10 mixed teams, 15 all male teams and 3 all female teams.
The Ag Clays 381 Trap activity began three years ago by Charlie Wilson, Mobile Shooting Range coordinator for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The shoot is for those students enrolled in the Agriculture Science elective course, Ag. 381, Wildlife and Recreation Management. The event is open to any student currently or previously enrolled in Ag 381 who has completed hunter education certification as part of the curriculum. This means that a student can enroll as a sophomore and compete in the event for three years until they graduate.
"The requirements follow the usual UIL rules of no pass, no play, but have much more stringent requirements through the Future Farmer’s of America (FFA) Career Development Education (CDE) rules," said TPWD Hunter Education Coordinator Terry Erwin, who added it is possible to gain scholarships to college if one’s scores are consistently good enough. "We look at it as a recruitment tool for young people to learn a sport that may be carried on throughout their entire lives," said Erwin.
There was more than a 100 percent increase in shooters from last year with more than half of them beginning as new shooters in the program. River Star Farms, a company who produces items as fundraiser products for FFA chapters, donated and catered the noon meal with Sloppy Joes, chips and drinks. There were 82 male and 39 female shooters from high schools as far north as Littlefield in the Pan-handle, as far south as Corpus Christi and east at Wills Point.
The winners were as follows:
All Female State Champion:
- Brazoswood High School — Team members — Kelsey Firkins, Ashley Slaughter, Taylor Self and Kaitlyn Garrett
- 2nd Place — Whitharral ISD — Team members — Molly Presley, Alisha Pecero, Sarah Myatt, and Breanna Hays
- 3rd Place — Belton High School — Team members — Jessica Mebane, Haley Thorne, Ashley Sanders, Kaitlyn Ellis
All Male State Champion:
- New Braunfels High School — Team Members — Tyler Martin, Blaine Floerke and Nelson Reuwer
- 2nd Place — Whitharral ISD — Team Members — Tell Rutledge, Keaton Samsel, Corey Nickelson and Ryan Lorenz
- 3rd Place — Corpus Christi Mary Carroll High School — Team Members — Dustin Almendariz, Payton Sienkiewicz and Ryan Sijansky
Mixed Team State Champion:
- Littlefield High School — Team Members — Tucker Foley, Shelby White, Jake Blackwell and Kylon Blackwell
- 2nd Place — Brazoswood High School — Team Members — Dean Tumlinson, Kelsey Firkins, Cody Wilson and Zack Henderson
- 3rd Place — Bellville High School — Team Members — Collyn Tiemann, Tanner Vecha, Garrett Rinn and Brittney Klein
The High Overall Male State Champion was Tyler Martin of New Braunfels, who shot a score of 96 out of 100. The High Overall Female State Champion was Raylea Underwood or Borden County ISD (Gail, Texas), who shot a score of 93 out of 100.
Information about the Ag Clays 381 program is on the TPWD Web site. For details or questions, contact Charlie Wilson at email@example.com or (512) 414-0194.
On the Net:
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.