Title Requirements

Vessels Requiring Titling

The following vessels/boats and outboard motors must be titled:

  • All motorized vessels, regardless of length (including any sailboat with an auxiliary engine);
  • All non-motorized vessels (including sailboats) 14 feet in length or longer; and
  • All internal combustion (gasoline/diesel/propane powered) outboard motors.
  • Boat trailers are registered/titled through the applicant’s local county tax office.

Lost titles can be replaced online. Titles that contain a recorded lien cannot be replaced through the online process.

Applications for Title

Title application, signed bill of sale, and either a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) for new vessels/boats and outboard motors, or an original signed title for used vessels/boats and outboard motors, must be submitted to obtain title in applicant's name. DO NOT purchase a used vessel/boat or outboard motor without receiving an original title (signed on the front and back) along with a signed bill of sale from the person(s) listed on the title or from their legally documented representative. If a legal representative signs the title or bill of sale for the recorded owner(s), the applicant must obtain a copy of the documentation authorizing the legal representative to act on behalf of the owner(s). Applications for title must be submitted not later than 45 days from the date of purchase.

Purchases or gifts of boats or outboard motors that do not acquire the title and signed bill of sale (or statement of gift) will not be eligible for immediate transfer. These may be titled through a more expensive and lengthy bonded title process requiring additional documentation to be acquired and supplied.

An abandoned boat or outboard motor may be eligible for titling through the bonded title process with appropriate documentation. An "abandoned vessel or outboard motor" means a vessel or outboard motor that has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than seven consecutive days. A listing of abandoned boats and outboard motors with requests for titling through the bonded title process is available.

Vessels Exempted from Titling

  • All U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) documented vessels (USCG documented vessels require State registration and proof of current USCG documentation)
  • All non-motorized canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length), or other vessels under 14 feet in length when paddled, poled, oared or windblown. Adding an outboard or trolling motor to one of these vessel types requires titling and registration.

A non-motorized vessel may have previously been titled as a motorboat. You can query ownership to check whether a title has been issued.