License, Permit and Endorsement Requirements: Migratory Game Bird

Valid Sep. 1, 2023 through Aug. 31, 2024.

License Requirements

All migratory game bird hunters must have a valid hunting license. Non-residents under 17 years of age are designated as residents and may hunt with a resident license. Hunters 17 years of age or older must have a driver's license or personal identification certificate (issued by the Department of Public Safety) on their person while hunting. Non-residents must have similar documents issued by the agency in the state or country of which the person is a resident that is authorized to issue driver's licenses or personal identification certificates.

Permit Requirements

A person is required to possess either an Annual Public Hunting Permit or a Daily Hunting Permit to hunt migratory game birds on certain state and federal lands and on private lands leased by the State for public hunting purposes. Youth under the age of 17 may hunt free of charge on these lands.

Endorsement Requirements

Harvest Information Program Requirements

No person shall hunt migratory game birds in this state unless that person is certified in the Harvest Information Program (HIP) in Texas. HIP is a federally mandated program to improve information about the harvest of all migratory game birds. Anyone who purchases a hunting license or any migratory bird hunting endorsements will be asked a few simple questions about their migratory bird hunting activities.

The letters "HIP" should appear on your license to indicate that you have been HIP certified.

For additional information about HIP, you may call (512) 389-4505.

Special Veterans - Active Military Personnel Waterfowl Hunting Days

A special season is now open to veterans and current members of the US Armed Forces on active duty, including members of the National Guard and Reserve on active duty (other than for training). The term “veteran,” is defined, per section 101 of title 38, United States Code, as a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable.

Proof of eligibility is required and must be carried on person while hunting. A driver’s license or other state-issued identification indicating that the person to whom it was issued is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces; a copy of the DD214 or DD215 discharge documentation issued to the person by the United States Department of Defense; or any other identification issued by the federal government indicating that the person to whom it was issued is a veteran or member of the armed forces on active duty is proof of eligibility.


Licenses, permits and endorsement receipts (or replacements if they are lost or stolen) are available at TPWD offices, many sporting goods stores, bait shops and other retailers.