Texas Youth Hunting Program
The Texas Youth Hunting Program was established to increase the number of youths participating in wildlife and hunting activities and to promote the hunting heritage in Texas.
The Texas Wildlife Association (TWA) and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) have joined forces to offer youth hunts that are safe, educational and very affordable. We sponsor introductory, instructive youth hunts for deer, turkey, hogs, javelina, exotics, dove, small game, waterfowl, varmints and other species. Normally, we provide mentors, lodging and meals.
- To preserve the hunting heritage in Texas for present and future generations.
- To promote the highest ethical standards in hunting.
- To give our youth an initial, positive, safe, educational, mentored hunting experience.
- To teach the basic skills, values, techniques and responsibilities of hunting.
- To instill in youth a basic understanding of practical conservation measures.
- To encourage wildlife habitat access, enhancement and management.
On our youth hunts, you will:
- learn how to hunt safely, legally and ethically;
- experience a firing range;
- find out how to track game;
- learn how to process game;
- appreciate nature first-hand;
- make new friends;
- spend quality time with family and friends;
- and, maybe do a little fishing and exploring.
You will leave our youth hunts with experiences and memories to last a lifetime.
To join the Texas Youth Hunting Program, you must:
- be 9 to 17 years old and
- complete and submit an application.
To hunt with the Texas Youth Hunting Program, members must:
- Complete the Texas Hunter Education course and be able to provide a copy of your certificate or “Temporary Student Card.”. You must have Hunter Education to hunt with TYHP, regardless of age. If you are less than 9 years old, you cannot be certified by the Hunter Education program and must retake the course after your ninth birthday. Call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 for more information and a schedule of upcoming Hunter Education courses in your area.
- Have a valid Texas hunting license and appropriate tags or stamps when required.
- Be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Complete a TYHP Hunting Application that lists your choice of hunts by priority. TYHP hunting schedules will be sent to you periodically.
- Complete the TYHP release forms sent to you when you are selected for a youth hunt
- Submit a refundable deposit to secure your position when you are selected for a youth hunt to insure all youth hunt opportunities are utilized.
For additional information, please call: 800/460-5494 or on line at: Texas Youth Hunting Program.