The Human Resources Division supports achievement of the agency's mission through services to attract and retain a highly skilled and diverse workforce. The division's activities are largely customer-driven, with continual efforts to improve services. The division maintains all personnel records and relies heavily on customer input in the development of policy and procedures; in determining training needs and priorities; in providing day-to-day services in employee recruitment, benefits and relations; and in related legal services. A number of customer feedback systems ensure that the division is in touch with changing needs. Examples of recent service improvements include the development of management training, team building services, applicant screening for hiring supervisors, career counseling for applicants, and mediation services.
The HR Operations team manages and coordinates the following functions:
- Benefits Administration - insurance, flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care, disability, retirement, deferred compensation (401k and 457), and workers' compensation.
- Compensation - payroll actions, benefit replacement pay (BRP), hazardous duty, and longevity pay.
- Employment - job postings, staff recruiting, applicant tracking and selection procedures; criminal background checks and intern program and open records requests.
- Service and Retirement Awards - employees are recognized for their length of service through the Service and Retirement Awards program.
- Leave Administration - annual leave, sick leave, holiday leave, other paid leave, and special leave programs such as family and medical leave, sick leave pool and leave without pay, and military leave; employee timekeeping system (ETS).
- On-boarding - new employee orientation, verification of prior state service, and dual employment requests.
- Separations - termination of employment, retirement, death claims, unemployment claims and exit interviews.
The Classification team of the TPWD Human Resources Division is responsible for developing and administering Human Resources (HR) policy; development and administration of job classifications, career ladders and functional job descriptions, reviewing and processing personnel action requests (PWD-95), making Fair Labor Standards Act determinations, conducting salary surveys and making recommendations for changes to the State Classification Plan.
The Employee Relations team handles all employee relations issues for both staff and managers; and oversees the Employee Assistance Program and other HR-related special programs.
HR Information Systems & Reporting:
The HR Information Systems and Reporting team facilitates decision making by providing managers with consistent and accurate personnel related data and reports; supports internal operations by developing efficient information systems and business processes; develops a variety of executive management reports related to staffing, EEO, turnover, salary etc… in addition to coordinating the automation of paper-based, manual processes.
Training and Organizational Development:
The Training and Organizational Development team conducts a wide variety of professional development and personal growth courses and seminars for department employees. Classes are offered both at the Austin headquarters and at various locations around the state in order to conveniently accommodate as many employees as possible. The Natural Quality Service Program is designed to utilize the Natural Quality Management process for identifying opportunities to enhance the delivery of services to internal and external customers.
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, TX 78744
Director of Human Resources
- Rebecca Gonzales
General HR Inquiries
(512) 389-4947 Fax
- Angela Guerra
(512) 389-4947 Fax
- Errol Hardin
512) 389-4791 Fax
- Toni Brown
HR Information Systems and Reporting
- Bob Lewis
Training and Organizational Development
(512) 389-4431 Fax
- Valerie Cordova-Smith
Division Administration and Budgeting