General Questions

Q1: A deer has been hit on the highway, what do I do?
A1: If the deer is just injured call your local game warden dispatcher. If you are absolutely sure the deer is dead, you may move it off the roadway and leave it there. Texas Department of Transportation will remove the dead animal. It is illegal to tag the deer (or any game animal for that matter) and take it with you.

Q2: I hit a deer last night and my friend told me that TPWD will pay your deductible, how do I do that?
A2: TPWD does not pay the insurance deductible for people who have hit a deer with their vehicle.

Q3: What do I do about nuisance wildlife?
A3: Contact the Texas Wildlife Services Program. They handle public requests concerning nuisance wildlife for the state. Their main number is (210) 472-5451, and they can put you in touch with your local representative.

Q4: I have found an injured or orphaned baby bird/animal. What do I do?
A4: The best thing to do for both you and the animal is to contact a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator in your area. Their names and numbers can be found on our website under: Hunting & Wildlife - Rehabilitators - and then your county. If you cannot find a contact, you can call TPWD at (512) 389-4505.