Frequently Asked Questions About Licenses

When do new-year licenses go on sale?

August 15. Most recreational hunting and fishing type license packages are valid from date of purchase in August (August 15 and later) through August 31 of the following year. Most commercial type licenses may be purchased starting August 15 of each year for the following year, but are not effective until September 1. 

I'm a Texas resident in active military, what license is available to me for hunting and/or fishing?

Item 510, Texas Resident Active Duty Military "Super Combo" Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package is available at no cost to Texas residents on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, Reserves or National or State Guard. Proof of residency for this license is: military service record(s) indicating that the person's home of record is in Texas or that the person's duty station for the six months immediately prior to the time of application is in Texas. 

I lost my license, what do I do?

Replacement licenses can be purchased at approximately 1,600 license agents located across the state. The agent will ask that you complete an application for a replacement license. Most recreational replacement licenses are $10. See a list of license agents.

What licenses are available to disabled veterans?

The free Disabled Veteran "Super Combo" Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package is available at no cost to a Texas resident or non-resident qualifying as a disabled veteran. Disabled Veteran means a veteran with a service-connected disability, as defined by the Veterans Administration, consisting of the loss of the use of a foot or leg or a disability rating of 50% or more and who is receiving compensation from the U.S. for the disability. Official proof of disability (issued by the VA) must be shown when applying for this license and must state the rate of disability.  

I'm disabled, is a fishing license required?

Disabled residents are required to obtain a fishing license unless they are: 

a mentally disabled person who is engaging in recreational fishing as part of medically approved therapy and who is fishing under the immediate supervision of personnel approved or employed by a hospital, residence or school for mentally disabled persons. The mentally disabled person must carry an authorization identifying the entity supplying the service. This authorization may be in the form of an I.D. card that contains the name of the sponsoring entity. 

a mentally disabled person who is recreational fishing under the direct supervision of a licensed angler who is a family member or who is a licensed angler that has permission from the family to take the mentally disabled person fishing. While fishing, the mentally disabled person needs a note from a doctor stating the person has been diagnosed as mentally disabled. 

Are Texas residents 65 years of age and older required to purchase a fishing license?

Yes, Texas residents 65 years of age and older are required to purchase a fishing license. However, Texas residents born BEFORE January 1, 1931 are exempt from the fishing license requirement. Below are the options available: 

Fishing License Only

Resident Senior Freshwater Fishing:
Resident Senior Saltwater Fishing:
Resident Senior All-Water Fishing:

Combination Packages Available

Senior Resident Combination Hunting and Freshwater Fishing:
Senior Resident Combination Hunting and Saltwater Fishing:
Senior Resident Combination Hunting and All-water Fishing:
Senior Resident Super Combination License (includes all state stamps):

I'm a Texas resident 65 years of age, what type of hunting licenses are available?

Hunting License Only

Senior Resident Hunting License
$7 (stamp endorsements are required as applicable)

Combination Packages Available

Senior Resident Combination Hunting and Freshwater Fishing
Senior Resident Combination Hunting and Saltwater Fishing
Senior Resident Combination Hunting and All-water Fishing
Senior Resident Super Combination License (includes all state stamps)

What type of hunting license is required of resident and non-resident youth (16 years of age and younger)?

Resident and non-resident youth may purchase the Youth Hunting License for $7. Youth are exempt from state stamp endorsement requirements. Federal Duck Stamp is required at age 16.

Is the non-resident 5-day and non-resident special hunting license valid for deer and turkey?

No. These two licenses are valid for small game animals and birds (excluding turkey). Stamp endorsements apply. See Hunting Licenses for a complete listing. 

What license is available to non-residents to hunt deer?

The only license available to non-residents to hunt deer is the General Non-Resident Hunting license for $315. This license is also valid to hunt any legal bird or animal. Stamp endorsements apply. See Hunting Licenses. 

Is a fishing license required for youth?

Resident and non-resident youth under the age of 17 do not need a fishing license. However, if they wish to retain a red drum over the maximum length, they can purchase an Exempt Angler Tag for $3. 

What is HIP Certification and how do I obtain the free certification?

HIP Certification, stands for Harvest Information Program Certification. The data collected from the survey questions is provided to the US Fish and Wildlife Service which provides valuable information for the management of migratory game birds on a continental basis. This certification can be obtained from any license sales agent located throughout the state. 

How can I obtain a Federal Sandhill Crane Permit?

The Federal Sandhill Crane Permit is only available at TPWD Austin Headquarters and Law Enforcement Offices located across the state (see listing of offices and business hours). For phone requests during normal business hours, please call 1-800-792-1112, option 5, menu 2 or (512) 389-4820. After hour requests or weekends, the Federal Sandhill Crane Permit can be obtained online. A $5 convenience fee applies to all online purchases. Each sales venue will provide a sandhill crane confirmation number that you can use along with your valid hunting license, state migratory endorsement and HIP Certification. 

Hunter Education Deferral Questions

Please visit our Hunter Education FAQ for a complete listing of Hunter Education and Deferral related questions. 

Can you tell me more about the voluntary donation opportunities available when I purchase a license?

At the end of a sales transaction, license buyers have the opportunity to make a voluntary contributions to the Fund for Veterans Assistance or to the Hunters for the Hungry program. Contributions can be made in increments of $1, $5, $10, or $20 to each. 100% of the donation goes to the respective entity. Please note that any donation must be in conjunction with the purchase of a license or drawing entry, not as a standalone item in a transaction. 

The Fund for Veterans Assistance administered by the Texas Veterans Commission helps support government agencies and veterans service organizations that provide direct services to Texas veterans and their families. Since 2009, the Fund for Veterans Assistance has awarded $55 million to organizations across Texas to help over 210,000 Veterans and their families. The Hunters for the Hungry program is managed by managed by Feeding Texas, Inc. and donations for this program help offset processing costs for legally harvested deer donated by hunters which is provided to local food banks to feed Texas families in need. Since the program’s inception over nine million servings of venison have been made.