Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Texas Natural Diversity Database
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, TX 78744
Texas Natural Diversity Database (TXNDD): Requesting Data
To request TXNDD data please send an email to TexasNatural.DiversityDatabase@tpwd.texas.gov with the following information:
- The location of your "area of interest" by USGS quadrangle name and County Name.
- The species name (scientific and common name), if you are only interested in a particular species.
- Project type, for example: road project, pipeline, communication tower, etc. (optional)
You will receive:
- ArcGIS shapefile of all TXNDD records in the "area of interest"
- EO report for each record in the shapefile
- EO list that will include records from the quadrangles surrounding the "area of interest." (EO list may not be included for requests that cover larger areas or requests for specific species.)
Zip File: You will receive the data in a zip file. Please let us know if you can't receive zip files.
Do not attach zip files to emails sent to the address above. Your email will be blocked by our email security
GIS Capability: If you do not have GIS capabilities there is a free ESRI tool that will allow you to view and query our spatial data.
Project Review:Receiving data from the TXNDD does not constitute a project review. A project review entails TPWD's Wildlife Habitat Assessment (WHAB) Program reviewing environmental documentation for specific projects. More information on WHAB project review can be found here.
Example of an EO representation (Cagle's Map Turtle):
Citing the TXNDD:
Texas Natural Diversity Database. [year of data export]. Element Occurrence data export. Wildlife Diversity Program of Texas Parks & Wildlife Department. [day month year of data export].