TPWD Seeking Public Input on Saltwater Fishing Regulation Proposals for 2020-2021
Feb. 21, 2020
Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
Note: This item is more than three months old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
AUSTIN – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is now accepting public comment on proposed changes to saltwater fishing regulations for 2020-2021. These changes are focused on the recreational and commercial flounder fishery and paddle craft licenses.
TPWD will be taking public comment on the following proposed changes to the 2020-2021 Statewide Recreational Fishing Proclamation, with input to be considered before any action by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission at its March 26 public hearing:
- Increasing the minimum size limit for flounder to 15”
- Closing all flounder fishing from Nov. 1 to Dec 15.
- Changing the course requirements to include a paddle craft leading course from the American Canoe Association or another TPWD approved course.
The public is encouraged to provide comment on the proposed regulation changes. Opportunities to provide comments for or against these proposals include:
- Facebook Live Webinar: TPWD Coastal Fisheries staff will present proposed fishing regulation changes and answer questions in a Facebook Live webinar at noon on Friday, Feb. 28 on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Facebook page.
- Public hearings: TPWD Coastal Fisheries staff will be hosting several public hearings on the coast to receive input from stakeholders and constituents concerning the proposed regulation changes.
- Tuesday, March 3 at 6:30pm at the USDA Bauer Building, 186 Henry Barber Way, Port Lavaca, TX 77979
- Tuesday, March 3 at 6:30pm at Bowers Civic Center, 3401 Cultural Center Dr, Port Arthur, TX 77642
- Wednesday, March 4 at 6:30pm at TAMU CC NRC Room 1003, 6300 Ocean Dr., Corpus Christi, TX 78412
- Wednesday, March 4 at 6:30pm at College of the Mainland, Teacher’s Auditorium, Learning Resources Bldg (Bldg L131), 1200 Amburn Road, Texas City, Texas 77591
- Thursday, March 5 at 6:30pm at Aransas County Navigation District, 911 Navigation Cir, Rockport, TX 78382
- Online: Once the proposed regulations are published in the Texas Register, comments on each component of the changes can be provided on the TPWD public comment page until March 25.
- Phone or Email: The Coastal Fisheries Division at 512-389-2011 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: The TPW Commission will take public comment on the proposed changes at their meeting on Thursday, March 26 in Austin. Public testimony is normally limited to three minutes per person.