Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Wildlife Diversity Permits
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, TX 78744
Wildlife Diversity Permits: Educational Display Permits
Application packets must be obtained from TPWD, completed, and returned along with two letters of recommendation from individuals in an appropriate biological or professional field. If you wish to collect or hold an endangered species you must provide written justification explaining how the species will benefit from the proposed activity. These permits do not allow the sale of animals. Permits are issued for three years, and a report is required each year in order to maintain the permit.
Persons representing grade schools or certain governmental organizations are exempt from the permit fee. Facilities for housing live animals must meet minimum requirements specified by regulation.
Educational Display Permits are required to hold or collect protected wildlife, or parts of protected wildlife, for educational purposes. Issued only to agents of accredited primary, secondary, or post-secondary educational institutions, governmental entities, or nonprofit educational organizations.
- Application for Educational Display Permit | Word
- Application for out-of-state Educational Display Facility Transport Letter of Authorization | Word
- Educational Display Permit activities: Annual report and species collection report form | Word
- General facility standards | PDF
- Information sheet for out-of-state Educational Display Facility Transport Letter of Authorization | Word
- Receipt for donation of fish or wildlife specimens | Word
- Texas Administrative Code Regulations for Scientific, Zoological, and Educational Permits
Bird Permits: Migratory Birds
If you plan to apply for a permit that includes the authority to handle migratory birds (rehabilitation, educational display of birds, or scientific collecting of migratory bird species), you will also be required to apply for a federal permit. Applications and further information can be found at U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Permits.