Frequently Asked Questions about Nongame Permits

Who needs a non-game permit?

Anyone in possession of more than 25 white list or 6 black list specimens. See the non-game regulations for more details.

Anyone collecting animals from the wild or captive-breeding them for commercial purposes, that is, for sale or trade of the animals, dead or alive. This also applies to the offspring of captive adults.

Applicable to non-game wildlife species listed in §65.331 (relating to Affected Species), living or dead, including parts of non-game wildlife and captive-bred non-game wildlife except:

  1. The purchase, possession, or sale of processed products (see new regulation under dealer permit)
  2. Selling non-game wildlife for and ready for immediate consumption in individual portion servings, and which are subject to limited sales or use tax;
  3. Persons 16 years of age or younger who are not engaged in commercial activity involving non-game wildlife; or Aquatic specimens possessed under a valid bait dealer's license
Who is exempt from needing the new non-game permits?
Persons aged 16 and younger, provided they are not engaged in commercial activities and establishments selling non-game for immediate consumption in individual portions, not refrigerated or frozen.
What kinds of permits are available?
NONGAME - Required to possess non-game wildlife (any number) for commercial purposes, or to possess more than 25 white list or 6 black list specimens of non-game wildlife. NEW REGULATION - A person possessing a valid non-game permit may sell non-game wildlife only to a person in possession of a valid dealer's non-game permit.
Resident (Type 548)* $19.00
Non-resident (Type 550)* $63.00
*Available through any license vendor.

DEALER'S NONGAME - A person possessing a dealer's non-game permit may sell non-game wildlife to anyone. NEW REGULATION - No person may collect non-game wildlife and subsequently treat it to create a processed product for sale, offer for sale, exchange or barter unless that person possesses a valid dealer's non-game permit.

*Available by application to TPW Austin headquarters only.
Call (512) 389-4481 or write for an application form.
Resident (Type 549)* $63.00
Non-resident (Type 551)* $252.00

Any person collecting animals from the wild must also possess a valid Texas hunting license.

Why is there a possession limit on listed species?

Since it is difficult to prove intent to sell, a possession limit has been established over which it is assumed that the individual is engaged in some type if commercial activity. Children are exempt from the possession limit unless they are also involved in trade.

All persons possessing a non-game permit shall maintain and possess upon their person during permitted activity a daily log indicating the date, location, and number of specimens of each species collected and/or possessed. Non-game permittees must also maintain a current daily record of all sales, to include the permit number of all non-game dealers purchasing non-game wildlife from the permittee.

All persons who purchase a dealer's non-game permit are required to submit an annual report for the period of August 1st through July 31st due to the department by August 15th of each year. Records must be kept available for inspection for two years following the expiration of the permit.

A person possessing a dealer's non-game permit must maintain a current daily record of all purchases and sales, as well as an invoice, receipt, or collection log, as described above, for all non-game specimens in possession. A non-game dealer may, through commercial activity, acquire non-game wildlife only from a person permitted by TPWD or a lawful out of state source.

Where do I get the report forms?

Dealers will get the forms when their permits are mailed from TPWD's Austin headquarters. Records of business transactions must be kept current and available for inspection by an employee of the department upon request.

Why were non-game permits created?

These regulations were created by the department to gather information on pressures exerted on non-game populations because of take by hobbyists and other collectors such as commercial dealers. Anecdotal evidence has indicated that in some cases, harvest of certain non-game species is great enough to possibly affect the overall sustainability of wild populations. It is TPWD's mission to manage the state's wildlife so that a viable and harvestable population is maintained.

Do I need a permit to sell my fourth-generation captive-bred banded gecko?
Yes, because wardens have no reliable way of distinguishing a captive-bred animal from a wild-caught one.

Affected Species

Back to Top
Back to Top