Frequently Asked Questions - Private Fisheries
Private Fishing Ponds
- Will TPWD help me build a pond or lake on my property?
- Will TPWD stock my pond, or where do I get fish?
- Can I catch fish in public water and take them home to stock my pond?
- How can I estimate the weight of a fish that was caught and released?
- What do I do if my fish are dying or have sores on their bodies?
- Some of the fish I'm catching have small worms or grubs in their flesh. What's wrong with these fish? Are they safe to eat?
- I've seen large wading birds in or near my pond, and suspect they're eating my fish. Can I shoot these birds?
- What if cormorants are eating my fish?
- My pond is overgrown with plants. What should I do?
- My neighbor stocked his pond with a kind of carp that eats plants. How can I get some of these carp?
- There are many turtles in my pond. Should I remove some of them?
- I caught a snapping turtle. What should I do with it?