We like to say “Life's Better Outside” and fishing is certainly one way to enjoy life outside─with friends and family or even if you're flying solo. If you are (or think you might be) interested in fishing, you’ll find resources below to teach you the basics and help you find just the right place to fish.
Where to Fish
- Rivers, community lakes, Neighborhood Fishin' stocked ponds.
- Bays, marshes, estuaries, and the Gulf.
- Interactive map
- Find places to fish near you.
- Texas Paddling Trails
- 75+ trails, fish from canoe or kayak in fresh or salt water.
- Texas State Parks
- 70+ parks offer free fishing, no license required.
Fishing Events and Classes
Rules and Regulations
Note: There are rules on how many fish you can catch each day and the allowable sizes, if you want to keep them.
- Purchase licenses online
- Sporting Goods Retailers (1,700 statewide)
- By Phone – (800) 895-4248 Mon.-Fri., 8:00 - 5:00 PM
- TPWD Law Enforcement Field Offices - PDF
- Texas State Parks that offer fishing
Note: everyone needs a license unless under age 17 or fishing in a Texas State Park.
- Fishing Reports
- What's biting, where and on what type of bait; free.