Turkey in Texas
Three Fast Turkey Facts
- If Wild Turkeys could smell, they'd be nearly impossible to hunt.
- The eyes and ears of a turkey make it one of the toughest of all Texas game animals. Their vision is the keenest among all Texas game animals. They are especially astute at pinpointing movement and can hone in on noises from a mile away.
- Wild Turkey Revival!
- A hundred years ago, turkeys almost disappeared from Texas due to unregulated hunting and loss of habitat. Now, thanks to hunter and landowner support, bag limits and a restocking program, they are making a steady comeback.
- Where the Wild Turkeys are.
- Turkeys now inhabit 223 of the 254 counties in Texas. You can see them roam at many Texas State Parks. One of the most substantial and oldest winter turkey roosts is at South Llano River State Park near Junction. Want to bag your own turkey? You can hunt for them on many of our Wildlife Management Areas and other public hunting lands.
Turkeys On The Move East
Decades of restocking the Eastern Wild Turkey has proven successful for some East Texas counties, but many areas still aren’t seeing birds. A new research study will focus on some recently transplanted birds outfitted with GPS transmitters to find out what turkeys think is a good home.
Wildlife for Lunch March Eastern Wild Turkey
In this presentation, Jason Hardin with Texas Parks and Wildlife covers the history of eastern turkeys in Texas, past restoration efforts, and TPWD's new super stocking approach to restoration. He also talks about eastern turkey management.
History of Eastern Wild Turkey Restoration
This series details the biology, habitat requirements, and habitat management options for Eastern Wild Turkey.
Grassland Restoration for Upland Birds
An overview of the grassland restoration process, which benefits wildlife species that rely upon the structure and food resources provided.
Meet the wild Texas turkey as it gobbles, struts and tantalizes turkey fans. Learn where turkeys live in Texas and how to "talk" turkey.
Check Your Eastern Turkey
On the My Texas Hunt Harvest App
Built exclusively for Texas hunters, this official TPWD app enables hunters to report harvested eastern turkeys in real time.
As of 2016, Eastern Turkey hunters must check their harvested turkey with the free app or web version instead of visiting physical check stations.
With the My Hunt Harvest App
- Log your harvested game
- View your harvest history
- Access your customer number more easily, after a one-time login
- Help biologists manage great Texas hunting
- Available Free on iOS, Android & on the web.
Thank you for supporting healthy habitats in Texas!
**This app does not fulfill tagging requirements for completion of the harvest log on the back of the license, required for the harvest of both turkey and white-tailed deer.
Texas Wildlife Radio Show discusses spring turkey season.