Veteran Hiring at TPWD
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department values the contributions of veterans, service members, and their families, so we remain committed to hiring veterans and supporting their work. In accordance with state law, we require that TPWD give veterans, surviving spouses of veterans, and orphans of veterans preference in the selection process when candidates are similarly qualified. We highly encourage veterans to review the Veteran Applicant Guide to ensure that their military experience is included in their online TPWD application. Additional applicant guides and resources are available below. For further questions, please contact the TPWD Veteran Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why We Hire Veterans
TPWD seeks employees who have demonstrated their commitment to protecting public resources, and our veterans have demonstrated their commitment while also developing the skills that are needed here at TPWD. That is why TPWD wants veterans to apply for positions in all of our divisions. In return for service through our agency, TPWD offers generous family-friendly and veteran-friendly policies for our employees.
Benefits of working for TPWD include:
- Flex scheduling
- Health benefits
- Family-friendly policies
- Professional development opportunities
Growing Opportunities for Veterans
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department has started a three-year initiative with AmeriCorps VISTA to develop robust, evidence-based programs for veteran employees. With guidance from a VISTA and using input from veteran and service member employees, TPWD is developing a veteran employee mentoring program, a veteran affinity groups, and opportunities for veteran employees to benefit from partnerships with local veterans' groups.
Why We Love it Here
- Teamwork, support, and flexibility on the job
- Collaborative environment with dedicated employees
- Training and educational benefits
- Opportunities to visit state parks and natural areas for work and leisure
Employment Resources for Veterans, Service Members, and Dependents
- Job Search Writing - resources and recommendations that can be applied to public and private sector job searches
- Resumes for Military Veterans - audience-centered approach to crafting a resume
- VA for Vets Resume Building Guide - a comprehensive guide for veterans and transitioning service members who are applying to federal jobs
- O*NET OnLine Military Crosswalk Search - online source for occupational information that includes military occupation codes
Local Career Preparation Resources
- Federal and State educational benefits - Texas Veterans Commission's listing of educational resources includes links to veteran student events and additional education resources, including information on the Hazlewood Act
- College Credit for Heroes - a partnership between the Texas Workforce Commission and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to ensure our active duty, former and retired military personnel receive the credit they earned for their service to our country
- TPWD's Student Internship Program - Student interns are given the opportunity to gain practical experience across our divisions including Law Enforcement, Wildlife, Communications, State Parks, Infrastructure, Coastal Fisheries, Inland Fisheries, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Executive Office.