Frequently Asked Questions


How can I deal with deer and feral hogs that are depredating on my property?

Since feral hogs are not protected in Texas, they may be taken at any time on private property. The only license requirement for feral hogs is a hunting license. For wildlife that is protected, such as white-tailed deer, there is a depredation permit that may be issued that allows a person to kill the protected wildlife. To obtain a depredation permit, a person must clearly show that wildlife protected by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code is causing serious damage to agricultural, horticultural, or aquacultural interests or other property, or is a threat to public safety. To begin the permit application process, please visit our Texas Wildlife Information Management Services (TWIMS) website by clicking here.