Frequently Asked Questions


Are exotic animals that happen to show up on my property fair game?

It depends! If an exotic animal has a visible tag, brand, or other identifying mark, a person should contact the local sheriff's office and report the exotic animal. Texas estray laws apply to marked exotic animals and the local sheriff is responsible for their enforcement. Exotic animals that are not marked and are free ranging that have wandered onto private property may be hunted with a hunting license, provided the owner of the property allows hunting. However, if an exotic animal appears on your property and you know that it is privately owned, then the ethical approach is to contact the owner.