Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hide Alert Show Alert

Stay up-to-date on operations adjustments and temporary closure of TPWD offices, state parks, recreation facilities and water access points due to COVID-19. Please follow guidance from local authorities, Governor Greg Abbott and the Texas Department of State Health Services.


Frequently Asked Questions

Resource Protection

Is a permit required to dig in a streambed?

Perhaps. If the stream is perennial (flows most of the time), or is more than 30 feet wide between the banks (even if it is dry most of the time), the State might claim the bed and the sand and gravel in it as State-owned. It requires a permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to "disturb or take" streambed materials from a streambed claimed by the State. Contact the Wetlands Conservation Program Chief at 512/389-4639 or the Resource Protection Attorney at 512/389-4433 for more information.