Frequently Asked Questions

Resource Protection

If I live along a stream claimed by the State, can I dig up sand and gravel for landscaping my yard or to fill holes in my driveway?

While small amounts may not pose a great threat to the fishery or to wildlife habitat, the law does not differentiate on the size of a project. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is obligated to determine the advisability of a project based on its probable impact, and authorized to enable small projects without lengthy permitting process, but there is a "general permit" fee of $250 which would have to be submitted with the request for a permit. It may be easier and cheaper to obtain material from a lumberyard.