Contact Information

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Wildlife Diversity Permits
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, TX 78744


Wildlife Diversity Permits: Scientific Permit for Research

Research and/or collections in state parks or state natural areas require a different permit. Visit the State Park Scientific Study Permit page for information.

Application packets must be obtained from TPWD, completed and returned along with two letters of recommendation from individuals in an appropriate biological or professional field. If you wish to collect or hold an endangered species you must provide written justification explaining how the species will benefit from the proposed activity. These permits do not allow the sale of animals. Permits are issued for three years, and a report is required each year in order to maintain the permit.

Persons representing grade schools or certain governmental organizations are exempt from the permit fee. Facilities for housing live animals must meet minimum requirements specified by regulation.

A Scientific Permit for Research is required to collect, salvage, band, or hold native Texas wildlife for scientific purposes. Scientific purposes include activities aimed at enhancing, protecting, conserving, or managing protected wildlife, or furthering scientific understanding of a resource or the environment.

Please expect a processing time of approximately 3 months for most Wildlife Permits. Applications and email communications are addressed on a first-in-first-out basis, so please plan accordingly.

Bird Permits: Migratory Birds

If you plan to apply for a permit that includes the authority to handle migratory birds (rehabilitation, educational display of birds, or scientific collecting of migratory bird species), you will also be required to apply for a federal permit. Applications and further information can be found at U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Permits.

These forms are provided for your convenience only. If they are inaccessible to you for any reason, you may request that a copy be sent to you through the mail. Should you have questions regarding these permits, the regulations or application process, you may e-mail