Texas State Park News
- Safely Make Your Holidays Merry and Bright at a Texas State Park, THC Historic Site
- Goose Island Reopens Fishing Pier, Bayfront, Bayfront Campsites
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Teams Up with the City of Abilene for Trout Fest 2020
- All state parks that can be are currently open for day use and limited camping.
- Day pass and camping reservations are highly recommended – make reservations online or by calling (512) 389-8900.
- We are taking reservations for overnight stays up to five months in advance.
- Check the Texas State Parks Alert Map for status of individual parks.
Guidelines for your visit:
- Face coverings are required inside all state park buildings.
- Six-foot social distancing is required.
- No groups larger than ten people are allowed, except for families or people living in the same household.
- See guidelines and tips to plan your visit.
Did you know that most state parks have stores? They range from small corners of headquarters with basic supplies up to stand-alone buildings with a wide variety of supplies, souvenirs and equipment rentals.
Revenue from park stores directly support your state parks. Go ahead – buy that t-shirt to commemorate your visit!
Hike Pick: San Marcos River Trail
One of the many easy hikes at Palmetto State Park is the 1¼-mile San Marcos River Trail. As its name suggests, the trail offers great views of the river.
Along the way, you'll see giant sycamores and cottonwoods, and the park's namesake, the dwarf palmetto. In the stretch between the Canebrake Spur and the park road, look for the extinct mud boils that were common here when the water table was higher.
On this or any of the trails at the park, please be safe, bring a map, and carry plenty of water.
TPW Magazine: Park News
In this remote part of the Hill Country, springs seep from limestone rock, bats make their homes in dark caves and rivers carve deep canyons through the hills. To get here, keep driving past the usual Hill Country havens of Kerrville, Bandera and Leakey until you come to the place where the songs of the golden-cheeked warbler and canyon wren fill the air and the skies turn just a shade darker at night.
TripAdvisor lists only one attraction in Rocksprings: Devil's Sinkhole State Natural Area. That's a big draw, for sure, but there's certainly more. Kickapoo Cavern State Park offers a unique combination of birds, bats and caves.
Thanks to Toyota for providing support for the mobile version of the Texas State Parks website.